Lower Murray Water is involved in several initiatives to promote sustainable water use and support catchment and river management practices aimed at improving water quality.

Water Conservation

Lower Murray Water continues to actively promote water conservation and responsible disposal to sewer within the community.

This includes:

  • educational programs and activities directed at primary school level: “Dripster Primary Education program” to educate school children on water conservation at school and at home, Mallee Environmental Schools Festival and National Water Week, which includes activities for over 400 school students at the Mildura Show,
  • programs directed at the general community: water conservation stickers and posters, sprinkler exchange for residential urban customers to reduce water wastage, production of e-News to a subscriber base, a range of community projects aimed to promote environmental awareness

Water losses in our supply chain were reduced substantially by the completion of the Robinvale High-Pressure Irrigation Project in September 2010. The project had two components, the reticulation system, and the pump station and upgraded the Irrigation District from a low-pressure channel / re-lifts / pipe system to a fully high pressured pipe system. This project delivers water savings and delivery improvements and operation/maintenance efficiencies (including greenhouse gas reductions).

Regional Catchment Strategy

The Regional Catchment Strategy is the primary framework for land, water and biodiversity management for each of the ten catchment management regions of Victoria. This means a single plan is available for everyone involved in looking after the Mallee environment, including community groups and government agencies.

The Mallee Catchment Management Authority (CMA) is coordinating the renewal of the RCS. Planning has been underway since September 2011, with the final Mallee RCS 2012-18 to be submitted for Ministerial approval in October 2012. Lower Murray Water is participating in the renewal process.

Apply for Water and Sewerage Concession