Water licences & entitlements

Your property may have a water entitlement, which gives you rights to the water on your land. You may also have an allocation entitlement, which is a share of the available water in our region. We manage entitlements on behalf of the state government and our community.

What does a Water Entitlement (WEE) number mean?
Known as a water share, it is a legally recognized, ongoing entitlement to a share of the water available in storage dams (Hume and Dartmouth).
It gives the owner a right to a share (allocation) of water in the dams.
The volume of a water share is defined as a maximum amount of allocation that can be made against it each year. Water shares may be high-reliability or low-reliability.

What does Allocation Account (ABA) mean?
Allocations made during the irrigation season are credited to the allocation bank account (ABA) of each water share holder. The balance of an ABA is the amount of water available to the owner of the associated water share for the current season.
Allocation can be traded in or out within the current season for further information on water trading.

To read more about the main water terms relevant to Lower Murray Water’s in-district irrigators and private diverters, click on the blue tabs below.  For a comprehensive list of water terms associated with irrigation and the Water Register, click on the grey tab below.  This will take you to the Victorian Water Register’s ‘Water Dictionary’.


Carryover is the opportunity to make use of unused storage space to carry unused water from one season to the next, so long as it doesn’t impact on allocations in the following year.

Carryover is against your Water Shares (not your ABA), to carryover water in your ABA you must have a Water Share attached to it. The Water Share can be either High Reliability or Low Reliability, but Carryover water is recorded against your Low-Reliability Water Share first. For more information on Carryover click on the button below.