Management of your allocation account (ABA)

It is very important to understand that it is your obligation under the Water Act 1989 to maintain a positive ABA balance at all times.  It is a criminal offence not to maintain a positive ABA and penalties apply should you use water that is not in your ABA.

Allocation and your ABA balance

The Northern Victoria Resource Manager announces updated seasonal determinations on the first and fifteenth of each month during the irrigation season. Historic seasonal determinations and the outlook for next season are available on the Northern Victoria Resource Manager website:  https://nvrm.net.au/seasonal-determinations/current

If you do not own water shares, you will have no allocation and will need to buy allocation to ensure your ABA is always positive.  It is important that you review your ABA and consider how much water you may need to have in your ABA to cover your water usage prior to using.

Plan now to keep a positive ABA

It is important to manage your water usage for the year if you haven’t already done so. Your plan must ensure your ABA is positive at all times.  For example:

  • If you own 10 megalitres of water shares with an allocation of 66%, then you have 6.6 megalitres available in your ABA less any water used.
  • If you do not own water shares and plan to use water, you must buy water and have it available in your ABA before you use it.

Lower Murray Water’s role is to monitor compliance and to act to address any unauthorised use of water.  This may include lockdown and prosecution.

Please seek assistance if you need advice.

Lower Murray Water provides data on ABA balances and water use to district irrigators, private diverters and domestic & stock customers via our water ordering website:  https://waterorder.lmw.vic.gov.au/default1.asp

Click on the buttons below for additional information to assist you in managing your ABA.

If you need help with understanding your obligations or accessing your ABA balance, please call our Rural Customer Team on (03) 5051 3400 and select option 3.

Your water broker can give advice on how to buy allocation and water shares.