You are here > Customer Centre > Water Conservation > Target Your Water Use
Target Your Water Use is a voluntary water efficiency program to assist and encourage regional Victorians to use their water wisely.
Using our precious water wisely
The program applies to residential and business urban water customers in regional Victoria.
Using water responsibly is everyone’s opportunity to help secure water supplies and create greener and more liveable communities for now and into the future.
We need to use our water more efficiently
Climate change poses a serious risk to our water future. We know that, over the long-term, there will be less rainfall, less run-off into our rivers and storages and more severe and prolonged droughts.
Population growth in our regional cities and towns is placing increasing pressure on our water storages. In the year to June 2015, regional Victoria’s population grew to 1.14 million, an increase of 7,800 people (that’s the equivalent to a new town around the same size of Maryborough in central Victoria).
A diverse range of water sources and efficiency measures are needed to help ensure there will be enough water to meet all our needs now and into the future.
Target Your Water Use is about taking a longer-term view about our water usage habits by ensuring that all Victorians have access to the information they need to make informed decisions about the amount of water they use.
We all have a role in responsible water use and by using water wisely we can help secure water supplies and create greener and more liveable communities now and into the future.
Helping you to target your water use
Target Your Water Use provides useful information to regional Victorians on how to be more water efficient within their homes and how to use water more wisely.
Working in collaboration, regional urban water corporations are providing a suite of products, services and solutions on how to use water more wisely.
• Permanent Water Saving Rules Common sense rules to assist with conserving water now and for the future (See your local water corporation website).
• Schools education program – Across Victoria, local water corporations are engaging with primary, secondary and tertiary students to educate them on the water cycle and how to use water wisely.
• Comparative water usage – Water customers can see how much water they have used compared to previous months and years simply by looking at their bill. Armed with this information they can make more informed choices about when and how to use water more efficiently.
• National Water Week – Each year National Water Week makes a splash across Australia, inspiring individuals, education providers, communities and organisations to work together to build community awareness and understanding of water-related issues. See our National Water Week page for more information.
• Urban Water Strategy – All Victorian water businesses are engaging with their customers and local communities to develop their Urban Water Strategies. These strategies will outline how water businesses will manage demand for, and ensure sufficient supplies of, drinking water across their service regions.
Importantly, the Target Your Water Use program also recognises that each water business faces a unique set of circumstances and a one size fits all approach does not work in all cases.
Get informed, get involved
The Victorian Government is working with partners, industry and the community to ensure we make the best use of our precious water supplies.
Lower Murray Water can provide you with solutions and advice to help use water more efficiently indoors and outdoors – speak to us for more ways to save or view our water conservation page.
What’s happening elsewhere in Victoria?